Monday, December 3, 2012

Craftsmanship Over Capitalism


First of all, without any hyperbole, I will just say that all of the Pappy Van Winkles really are THAT good.  I didn't realize how lucky I'd been to land a bottle every Christmas the past few years. This might be a bit over the top, but to me, this bourbon expresses something wonderful, yes sublime actually, about being human. It is a gift.

Gun and Garden has a great interview with Julian Van Winkle III, who has seen the family business struggle and thrive while remaining unphased by swings in either direction. Van Winkle is currently enjoying a frenzied cult following and yet their business plan remains almost completely unchanged.
Why, with a high-volume distillery in his corner and the public in full ferment for his product, doesn’t he seize this moment to crank the stills to capacity and cash in? “Well, the quality would go down,” he says, as though this is explanation enough. “I don’t need a ton of money. I’m comfortable. Why get bigger? I mean, yeah, I guess I’d like to have a jet to fly around in, but things like that just complicate your life.”
The article also cites some of Dr. Percy's work, who I am sure would heartily approve.
God Bless America.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete